Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Look

From the very beginning of this project there was no doubt  what medium would be used: 2D.  There's something about 2D animation that I just love! Don't get me wrong I also love 3D animation as well! I'm just more familiar doing 2D artwork then 3D.



For the film I wanted it to have a traditional animation feel to it,close to feature film style. And for the backgrounds , 3D but with 2D textures. I want the background art to have a "hand painted" feel to it. Similar to this video: http://youtu.be/fYt6a7cLwM4   But don't get your hopes up! ,I'm only an amateur artist/animator with a very small animation team.
 
A color test by Christina Sill done in Anime Studio Pro,inspired by this artist's amazing artwork: http://heavymetalhanzo.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-203149674

The image above is just a test and nothing more. I was testing to see what kind of shading and lighting I could do with the software.
Speaking of Software...I'm a supporter of Anime Studio Pro! In the past it has helped me out in a pinch.
  
Anime Studio Pro is an awesome software in my opinion. It really cuts the animation production time in half! My goal with Anime Studio Pro is make the animation look traditional much as possible. Most people use it for cut out style animation,but I want to show what the software can really do! Now there are many excellent  samples of this on the web and I want this film to be added to the list!

The video below is a work in progress test animation to see what I could do.

His hands will be finished soon!


I know this is far from what I was aiming for.  But I guess it's pretty good for only relearning the software for 3 months now. I have already corrected his ear prospective and made his foot/ shoe tapping more natural looking. (not corrected in the video)
This animation  above was done in the 9.5 version and just recently Micro Smith released version 10. And the new features look awesome! I already got ideas on how I want to use these features! Hopefully I can get my hands on Anime Studio Pro 10 soon!  
Sonic and other Sonic characters and other properties  are copyrighted and own by Sega, Shy Art Studio is not affiliated with Sega.  This is a non-profit fan film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment